Understanding the behavior and fate of genetically-engineered cells is crucial for improving the safety and efficacy of gene therapy. Statistical and mathematical models are vital for extrapolating relevant information from high throughput sequencing data. This role is specifically designed to address questions on how best to optimize gene therapy platforms at basic and translational levels. The Biostatistician will be accountable for developing statistical and mathematical models related to gene therapy experiments, working in both a collaborative and independent fashion.
In this position you will work as part of a team led by a world-leader on the behavior and fate of genetically-engineered cells. You will be creating statistical and mathematical models derived from laboratory and clinical research activities to support our programs of lentiviral-based gene therapies, studying clonal dynamics of engineered cells and the composition of the stem cell product through state-of-the-art single cell genomic and transcriptomic analyses.
- Generate high-level custom statistical and mathematical models for supporting clonal tracking data.
- Develop and run bioinformatics pipelines for high-throughput sequencing data.
- Prospectively manage a small team of scientific collaborators providing statistical and bioinformatic support for the activities within and outside the R&D division and vendor sites.
- Solve challenging scientific problems.
- Work in a dynamic scientific environment collaborating with peer scientists or working independently.
- Present data within AVROBIO and to broader scientific community as appropriate via posters, talks at industry meetings or in the form of scientific publications.
- Proven experience in probability and statistics applied to biological science.
- Experience handling sc-RNA seq and Illumina sequencing data.
- Proficient in programming languages and tools like R, C/C++, SQL, Perl, Python, BASH, CPLEX (IBM), LATEX DB MySQL, MSSQL
- Proficiency with Linux, Windows platforms
- Proven experience excelling in a dynamic scientific environment.
- Ability to adapt to research outcomes
- Experience presenting scientific data at international meetings
- Excellent scientific speaking and writing skills
- Proficiency in stochastic differential equations for population models, models and inference for 2D-3D diffusion process, scan statistics in genomics and survival data, models for spatial data,
- Linear/non-linear and parametric/non-parametric modelling.
- Experience with viral vectors including integration site analysis.
- 7-10 years of proven experience in a research context strongly preferred.
- PhD in probability and statistics preferred. Other related experience including bioinformatics will be considered
- Passport required for international travel
- Fluency in spoken and written English
To apply, email your resume to: email@example.com
AVROBIO, Inc is an EEO employer
AVROBIO, Inc., a leader in lentiviral-based gene therapies, is a clinical-stage company developing disruptive therapies that have the potential to transform patients’ lives with a single dose. The Company is focused on the development of its gene therapy candidate, AVR‑RD‑01, in Fabry disease, as well as additional gene therapy programs in other lysosomal storage disorders including Gaucher disease, Cystinosis and Pompe disease. AVROBIO’s lentiviral platform has broad potential for other rare and non-rare genetic diseases. AVROBIO is headquartered in Cambridge, MA and has offices in Toronto, ON.