AVROBIO, a recently public gene therapy company based in Cambridge, MA, seeks an experienced, accomplished, and collaborative General Counsel to join us as the Company’s first in-house counsel. In this role she/he will lead the Company’s legal function, provide a broad spectrum of legal counsel, and serve as a contributing member of the Company’s Executive team. We are seeking an individual with strong technical/analytical skills, combined with a practical, business-oriented, and strategic approach to identifying and solving business and legal problems as the company grows and evolves. He/she should be a seasoned professional who exhibits sound judgement, is decisive, and makes informed decisions. Strong personal values and the highest level of integrity are essential.
- Act as an advisor to the Board of Directors and its committees on matters of corporate governance, including serving as Corporate Secretary.
- Support the Company’s various functions, including Manufacturing, Business Development, IT, Human Resources, Commercial, Finance, Facilities, etc.
- Oversee the structuring and negotiation of business agreements and contracts, including strategic alliances, joint ventures, licenses, R&D, CRO, supply, manufacturing, distribution, merger/acquisition agreements, real estate, and government contracts.
- Oversee the departments’ paralegal and administrative contract functions.
- Manage compliance with corporate and securities rules and regulations, including the preparation and filing of SEC Forms 10-K, 10-Q, and 8-K, financial releases, proxy materials and other related filings.
- Direct, manage, and optimize work with internal and external legal staff, including budgeting and tracking utilization of outside counsel.
- Advise Human Resources department and senior staff regarding employment law and compensation issues, including administration of equity compensation plans.
- Develop new and improve existing Company policies and processes that support business objectives and intelligently manage compliance and risk.
- Work with the finance department to establish and implement appropriate disclosure controls and procedures to ensure that compliance with obligations under the Securities & Exchange Act of 1934 and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- Develop and oversee appropriate legal risk systems for global operations, including regulatory, FCPA, select agent and securities laws.
- JD with a strong academic record; admitted to the Massachusetts or New York Bar.
- 12+ years corporate and life science law experience, including several years’ experience at a nationally recognized law firm with a focus on public offerings and advising public companies on SEC, regulatory and securities matters.
- Previous legal leadership expertise working cross-functionally internally, externally and managing a small team.
- Proven experience structuring, negotiating, and drafting corporate agreements and contracts demonstrating good judgment and reputation for high ethical standards.
- Substantial experience advising business personnel and senior management on corporate and securities compliance matters; detailed knowledge of SEC reporting requirements and regulations, including periodic and current reports and Section 16 and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Proven experience with corporate risk management activities in a public biotech company.
- Experience working with and advising public company boards of directors and board committees on day to day governance issues, including preparing for and attending board meetings; up to date and knowledgeable of current corporate governance best practices.
To apply, email your resume to: email@example.com
AVROBIO, Inc is an EEO employer
AVROBIO, Inc., a leader in lentiviral-based gene therapies, is a clinical-stage company developing disruptive therapies that have the potential to transform patients’ lives with a single dose. The Company is focused on the development of its gene therapy candidate, AVR‑RD‑01, in Fabry disease, as well as additional gene therapy programs in other lysosomal storage disorders including Gaucher disease, Cystinosis and Pompe disease. AVROBIO’s lentiviral platform has broad potential for other rare and non-rare genetic diseases. AVROBIO is headquartered in Cambridge, MA and has offices in Toronto, ON